Friday, August 6, 2010

Indian (like from India) Chicken & Peppers with rice.


This is a great recipe that looks like a lot of time went into it, but really it is just some prep that needs to be done. Wednesday night when I arrived home I raced into the kitchen and checked the chicken in hopes that it was mostly thawed. It is good to work with partially frozen meat when you plan to cut it so it will slice easier. I heated the grill pan with a bit of olive oil and prepared the spices with yogurt in a large bowl.  Note to self, mark spice bottle with a note to say that the shaker top is missing.  As you can imagine, of all the spices in my cabinet, I grabbed the cayenne pepper!  With one hard flip of the wrist I dumped in 1/4 of the bottle on top of the yogurt in the large mixing bowl. "Oh no," I thought as I began to pinch out small amounts and put it back in the jar.  I realized that my efforts, although good, would not combat the heat wave that was going to ensue 30 minutes later. If I recall correctly the dish calls for 1/4 of a tea. Not that I ever measure, but I took it a bit to far last night!

I will follow up with pictures of the recipe later.

3/4 cup plain yogurt
1 1/2 tea coriander
2 garlic cloves
1/2 tea paprika
1/4 tea cayenne pepper
3 tbls fresh cilantro or 1 tbl dried
1 lb chicken
1 of each red, green, yellow, orange bell pepper
1 red onion
1/2 tea salt

Chop or grate  the garlic and chop the cilantro if needed, then combine the spices with the yogurt in a large zipper bag.  Chop the chicken into 1 inch cubes and add it to your bag of spices, squeeze out the air and zipper closed. Marinate in the fridge for 1-24 hours (I almost never do this because I forget to, but it will intensify the flavors).  
When you are ready to cook the chicken prepare a pan with olive oil or the outdoor grill (as you can skewer the meat and veggies separately).  Chop the peppers and red onion  to desired bite-size. Next either prepare to skewer the meat (on bamboo skewers soaked over night in water or metal skewers) and veggies or place the chicken in the heated pan. Then place the veggies in separate olive oil heated pan about 5 minutes later. Cook the chicken until done and no longer pink inside.  Cook the veggies until reached desired tenderness about 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, begin the rice. Follow package instructions and adjust time to have completed when the rest of the meal is done. Once cooked combine the chicken and peppers in a large bowl toss and serve over rice.

When you see the pictures you will notice that I added extra "cilantro" a.k.a spinach to the dish. This is an option to seek in the good stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment